Careers Bulletin 9 September 2022
A Message from Mrs Wooller
I hope that everyone had a great summer break and enjoyed the glorious weather! If any parent/carer is aware of any opportunities (with employers) that our students may find useful please do get in touch with me. If you are able to offer any support or would like to help the careers team in any way we would be very grateful – please email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Work Experience Programmes Open
Applications for Cisco’s October Pathway Work Experience, for young people in Years 11 & 12, are now open. You can find more information on our facebook page and apply from there https://www.facebook.com/ciscoworkexp or apply using the links below.
Dates: 24-28 October
Location: Bedfont Lakes, Feltham
- Option 1- Hybrid (2 days in office & 3 days virtual)
Follow this link to apply if you wish to attend the HYBRID format: https://ciscocx.qualtrics.com/jfe/form/SV_9oZRiyx6tze61ng
- Option 2 - Fully Virtual
Follow this link to apply if you wish to attend the VIRTUAL format https://ciscocx.qualtrics.com/jfe/form/SV_eX8Ojk6ZdMbbP1k
Sam Moylan-Heydt (She/Her) | CSR Programme Manager UK & Ireland
email@example.com | +44 20 8824 0398 | cisco.webex.com/meet/smoylanh
Cisco International Limited | London, UK | Cisco.com
Empowered Females in STEM Programme! Y12/13
The deadline for your students to apply is Friday 23rd September.
The Empowered Females in STEM Programme will:
● Prepare young females’ employability skills for the start of their STEM careers.
● Enable young females to network with global STEM employers in-person and online.
● Raise the self-efficacy of young females in STEM.
● Empower young females to be valued members and bold leaders of the STEM community.
The programme is sponsored by global STEM companies, including Pfizer, Facebook, Google, BP, Dyson, Salesforce, L’Oréal, Citrix, Colt, GE and UCB. The Upskill Me STEM Scholars will attend masterclasses and receive group mentorship from diverse and relatable women in STEM. They will also carry out a Dyson Project Based Learning challenge, providing them with an opportunity to solve a real-world STEM problem.
The six-month programme is free of charge and launches in October 2022 at the Amazon headquarters.
Applicants must be:
● female or non-binary students
● in Year 12 or 13
● studying at least two STEM subjects (physics, chemistry, biology, psychology, mathematics, economics, design technology, computer science, IT).
The application form can also be found here. https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLScGNC6-xFVyhb0TFuAhnT-UIdDM3M5tm_ab5XpY4vAb_THWSw/viewform
10 York Road, London, SE1 7ND www.upskillme.io
KPMG – Discovery Virtual Work Experience Programme - Y13
Applications close 19th September 2022
Discovery, our 2-day virtual programme, is part of our commitment to Access Accountancy and social mobility – working towards everyone having an equal chance of accessing the accountancy profession. Our programme introduces the students to KPMG and professional services, as well as providing them with the opportunity to engage with our current KPMG apprentices, graduates and Senior leaders who will share their experiences, as well as giving them the opportunity to take part in interactive sessions to enhance their skillset.
This virtual experience will also give students the opportunity to transfer their application to the second stage of the recruitment process for one of our 2023 Apprenticeship Programmes upon completion of necessary assessments and their Discovery experience (subject to meeting the academic requirements, details of which can be found here). Furthermore, upon successful completion of this programme you will also receive a £50.00 Amazon voucher.
Our Discovery work experience programmes will run during October across two days:
- London & South East: 25th – 26th October 2022 apply here: https://www.kpmgcareers.co.uk/vacancies/work-experience-discovery-insight-programme-london-tbc-2022/3cc85a69-1e4b-4f77-50e3-3d9d18a9daf7
Standard entry requirements – UK
- Minimum 5 GCSEs Grades A*- C or 4 – 9 (inc. Maths at minimum B or Level 5 and English Language)
- On track to receive a minimum of 112 UCAS points under the 2017 tariff point system (e.g. BBC at A Level or equivalent qualifications)
- We only consider a candidate’s top 3 A-Level grades or equivalent (such as BTECs), and do not accept General Studies.
Additionally, applicants will also need to meet the Access Accountancy criteria.
The Access Accountancy criteria supports young people from low socio-economic backgrounds to have access to the accountancy profession. Applicants will need to:
- Attend state school or college, and
- The occupation of your main household earner when you were aged 14 is categorised as a lower socio-economic background, or
- Be eligible (or have been eligible) for free school meals (or attend a school with ‘above regional average’ free school meals), or
- Their immediate family did not attend university.
Our standard entry requirements are a guideline, but we are more than happy for prospective applicants to get in touch with us if they have extenuating circumstances, alternative qualifications or require further clarification on eligibility. Please advise them to contact us via Apprenticeships@KPMG.co.uk
Full details on entry requirements and how to apply can be found on the website https://www.kpmgcareers.co.uk/apprentice/discovery-work-experience/
It would be great to see some of your students on the programme this year.
Student Recruitment Officer - Apprenticeships
58 Clarendon Road, Watford WD17 1DE
Careers in Business & Accountancy Evening
Tuesday 4th October 5pm – 7.30pm
Come along and meet some of the biggest accountancy and professional service firms in the world, PwC, Mazars, Grant Thornton, KPMG and others!
If you’re interested in learning about careers in Business or Accountancy and would like to hear all about student/work experience & apprenticeship opportunities at the companies involved as well as taking part in some great workshops and networking, then sign up below:
- Date: Tuesday 4th October - Arrivals from 5:00pm with a 5:30pm start until 7:30pm
- Venue: Reading Town Hall - Blagrave Street, Reading, RG1 1QH (right outside the train station)
- Employers: PwC, Mazars, Grant Thornton, KPMG & others!
- Lots of workshops and networking opportunities (deep dive into Audit, Tax, Consulting & Business Advisory)
- Something fantastic to put on your CV with a Certificate of Attendance
- Snacks and light refreshments to be provided
For us to run this event and to ensure students are committed to attending (as places are limited), there is a small cost for a ticket which is £19. Parents will also require a ticket to attend. If you are eligible for free school meals, then we can subsidies this for you; however, a proof will be required from school / college records.
Purchase your ticket here: https://young-professionals.uk/events/young-professionals-conference---reading-/62cac8aec719ac100b4b4ead
INVESTIN- Career Opportunities students aged 12 – 18
Live & interactive career masterclasses I At UCL or online I
November & December 2022
We are delighted to share with you our autumn term career opportunities, which are available in 19 cutting-edge industries. Students will learn directly from some of the world's best professionals - doctors, lawyers, engineers, investment bankers and more - through a series of live, interactive simulations which provide tailor-made professional experience to ages 12-18.
All programmes take place on Sundays at UCL; students can also attend live online if they prefer. We expect to be fully-booked for our most popular programmes by 30th September so students should register as soon as possible
View & Register Age 15-18 https://investin.org/collections/our-programmes?filter.p.m.product_filters.age=Ages+15-18&utm_source=UK+SCHOOLS+MASTER&utm_campaign=1576120d43-bankersschoolmar_COPY_01&utm_medium=email&utm_term=0_bfccb03bbd-1576120d43-137653699&mc_cid=1576120d43&mc_eid=37ce71523c
View & Register Age 12-14 https://investin.org/collections/future-career-experiences?utm_source=UK+SCHOOLS+MASTER&utm_campaign=1576120d43-bankersschoolmar_COPY_01&utm_medium=email&utm_term=0_bfccb03bbd-1576120d43-137653699&mc_cid=1576120d43&mc_eid=37ce71523c
Free work experience for Medicine & Nursing
This month we have work experience for medicine & nursing running online every Monday evening in September.
Free course for all students aged 14-19 interested in healthcare.
Perfect for all students aged 14-19 interested in Biology, Science, healthcare and of course those considering careers in medicine. Students can join our doctors live and online every Monday at 7.30pm in September as they go through real life patient cases from symptoms, diagnosis and treatment. Students that cannot attend live will have access to the recordings to watch whenever they have time.
All of our doctors work in busy NHS hospitals in England so this is a unique opportunity to learn more about healthcare and gain some fantastic material to use in med school applications and to talk about at interview as verified work experience.
Students just need to visit www.premedprojects.co.uk/free-wp where they will be able to sign up for the course.
Best Regards, Jasmine Little
The PremedProjects Team
15 Queen Square, Leeds, West Yorkshire, LS2 8AJ
Free Medical Conference for aspiring Medics in Y10 – 12
Your aspiring medical students in years 10 - 12 are eligible to attend a FREE LIVE VIRTUAL Get into Medicine Conference on:
Sunday 18th September 10am - 3pm
Sunday 25th September 10am - 3pm
Saturday 1st October 10am - 3pm
Once students have attended, they will be awarded with a certificate from the Presidents at Medic Mentor to acknowledge that they are a student who has gone one step further than others.
The Get into Medicine conference is a significant turning point for Medic Mentor students. It will unlock exclusive opportunities such as scholarships and prizes, as well as help them to make a highly competitive application.
Students can register using this link: https://airtable.com/shr66li3bqG3ZpkPM
Please note that all students must be accompanied by a parent/guardian for safeguarding purposes.
The Get into Medicine Conference is a comprehensive guide to the medical application process. Dr Kennedy and I will cover:
- Application Timelines
- How to Tactically Choose Medical Schools
- CV Building
- Personal Statements
- Interview Schools
- Medical Leadership and Awards Programmes
- Accessing Work Experience
- UCAT and BMAT - Entrance Exams to Medical School
- Accessing Scholarships
We strongly encourage all students to make the most out of this free opportunity.
Spaces are competitive and limited, so students should register as soon as they can using the link below. For this reason, we kindly request that students only book one conference.
Registration Link: https://airtable.com/shr66li3bqG3ZpkPM
Here’s how the day will run:
- 10-10.30 Registration
- 10.30-11.20 Quick introduction to Medic Mentor, overview of the day, competition ratios, application timeline, Awards and Scholarships
- 11:20-11:30 Top tips form a successful applicant (medical student)
- 11.30-11.40 Break
- 11.40-12.00 Introduction to the UCAS application form and entry requirements
- 12.00-12.30 Interactive CV building exercise and exclusive access to leadership, research, presentation, publication, prizes and scholarship opportunities
- 12.30-12.40 Top tips form a successful applicant (medical student)
- 12.40-13.30 How to write the perfect personal statement
- 13.30 - 13.40 Break
- 13.40 - 14.10 Entrance exams - how to do ace the UCAT and BMAT exam
- 14.10-14.40 How to prepare for Medical School interviews
- 14.40-15.00 Next steps after conference and how to build on this experience
One booking = one booking for a student + their parent/guardian.
Getting into medicine may seem impossible to many students, but we’re here to break down the entire process into actionable steps.
Dr Siva, Chief Mentor, Your Medic Family
Enquiry Form: https://airtable.com/shrM6UPT8Z2uxx7OL
Phone Number: 01530 417 299 (Available 10am - 6pm Monday - Friday)
Aspiring Medics - PotMed Conference
PotMed (Potential Medics) is an initiative which provides support for medical school admissions. This includes our annual conference, and a series of Intensives throughout the year (UCAT & BMAT, Personal Statement, MMI Intensives). Our aim is to equip potential medical students with everything you need to succeed.
The annual PotMed Conference is an award-winning one-day medicine application crash course organised by the Muslim Medics society of Imperial College London. It is open to all aspiring medics. The course is aimed at year 12/13 students as well as gap year and graduate entry students (although younger students are also welcome!).
The course will include:
- 1-1 discussion and personalised feedback on your personal statement by a medical student. Presentation on what goes into making a great personal statement.
- Mock interviews (MMI and panel) with individual feedback, all in a supportive environment set to emulate the real thing as closely as possible.
- Comprehensive review of each section in the BMAT/UCAT with advice on how to tackle common question types, practice questions and worked answers.
- Ethics seminar to craft your reasoning skills and help you grasp complex medical issues.
- Q&A panel with medical students and an admissions representative.
- Guided tour around the South Kensington campus and School of Medicine building with a unique insight into the day-to-day life of a first-year medical student.
Date: Saturday 24th September 2022
Location: Sir Alexander Fleming Building, Imperial College London, SW7 2AZ
We want to provide a course that is incredibly high-quality, but also affordable to open the application process to all, including those from less privileged backgrounds. Tickets are priced at just £25 which includes lunch and snacks provided on the day.
Tickets can be purchased via this link: https://www.imperialcollegeunion.org/shop/csp/muslim-medics/potmed-conference
We are also providing a number of free tickets to underprivileged students who fulfil at least one of the following criteria, provided they’re able to email us with supporting evidence.
- In receipt of free school meals
- In receipt of the 16-19 bursary
- Attend a non-selective state school and both parents have not attended university
- Enrolled on the Imperial WATCCH programme
- If a student is eligible, they should not purchase a ticket via the link and contact us first at firstname.lastname@example.org with supporting evidence.
To be kept up to date with the details of this year’s PotMed Conference, and upcoming crash courses, make sure to follow our Facebook, Instagram and Twitter pages (@potentialmedics).
We hope that you will find this information beneficial. We have previously welcomed many pupils from Little Heath School, and it would be fantastic to see many more prospective medical students at our event this year!
If you have any questions, feel free to contact us at email@example.com
Ali Mohammed and Nadirah Shofique
PotMed Conference Co-Chairs
Fully funded Level 2 & 3 Education & Childcare qualifications
Impact Futures are delighted to confirm that we have now secured further funding to continue delivering the below qualifications FULLY FUNDED through our Adult Education Budget, to anyone aged 19+ and regardless of their employment status / earnings.
We are working with Education Providers across all non-devolved areas to offer these courses to employees, volunteers, governors parents & carers - The courses are specifically designed to raise knowledge and awareness of the subject area to support others, and can be completed by staff, volunteers, parents, friends, and family within your networks and community. We offer Level 2 & 3 qualifications in childcare & education, healthcare, business, IT and team leading -
- Level 3 Diploma for the Children’s Workforce
- Level 2 Certificate in Understanding Autism
- Level 2 Certificate in Understanding Children and Young People’s Mental Health
- Level 2 Certificate in Awareness of Mental Health Problems
- Level 2 Certificate in Self Harm & Suicide Prevention Awareness
- Level 2 Certificate in Behaviour That Challenges in Children
- Level 2 Certificate in Special Educational Needs & Disability
- Level 2 Certificate in Understanding Nutrition & Health
- Level 3 Diploma in Leadership & Management
- Level 2 Certificate in Principles of Team Leading
- Level 2 Certificate in IT User Skills
- Level 2 Certificate in Principles of Business Administration
Courses are delivered via our online learning platform with support from fully qualified, experienced Tutors, and can be completed any time throughout the day or evening. As the courses are FULLY FUNDED through our AEB budget there are no costs whatsoever to the employer, or the Learner. Learners can complete as many courses as they want, and they will receive a nationally recognised certificate from the Awarding Body upon completion of the course(s).
Reading & Bracknell College - recent school leavers opportunities
We hope that your recent school leavers were happy with their GCSE results and are comfortable with the next stage of their education. However, if you are aware of any of your school leavers who are yet to choose a course or college, or perhaps are reconsidering whether school sixth form is right for them, we are offering ‘Clearing’ sessions at our colleges. These sessions will take place throughout September and will allow students to have a chat with subject specialist tutors who can help them decide on what the next steps could be. For more information and to book an appointment click on the links below or contact us on 0800 612 6008. It’s not too late to apply, as we still have places available to start this term:
Free Access to University Live Information
We are offering free access to the University Live Channel for all schools and colleges across the UK to help young individuals with their future. The University Live Channel is a perfect opportunity to ask questions to Universities regarding courses, facilities, grants/finance support, social life, grades and so much more...
Students, teachers and parents are encouraged to ask questions and leave messages via the channel’s moderated LIVE CHAT facility directly to the University Live Channel partners.
If you would like to connect with hundreds of Universities then visit: https://universityliveuk.com and #starttheconversation today.
For more information about the University Live Channel take a look at our promo video here: https://vimeo.com/737570698
Customer Service Team, Learn Live
University Scholarships – Law Students
Stephenson Harwood https://www.shlegal.com/
Connectr are extremely excited to be partnering with Stephenson Harwood to help promote their university scholarships. As well as providing information about the scholarships, we are delighted to grant students access to an online platform https://shlegal.connectr.co.uk/futuretalent providing further information about the firm, e-mentoring and online activities to build on the skills needed to be a successful law student.
Stephenson Harwood will provide:
- A scholarship of £15,000 per year to cover the cost of a three-year undergraduate law degree course and living expenses.
- Mentors, insight days, work experience and a guaranteed place at an assessment centre for a training contract.
Criteria for students
- Be able to demonstrate that you have the academic potential to succeed at university and be working towards an ABB at A-Level.
- Be attending, and have attended from aged 11, a state-funded non-fee paying school/college; and
- Students haven’t had the means or networks that others may have had to get the chance to access opportunities that could provide you with the skills needed to achieve your aspirations.
Applications open on 1 October 2022 and close on 28 February 2023.
This is a social enterprise that works with students, parents and schools to widen participation to UK universities. This year we are again running our free online workshops for students in Year 12 who are applying for university. Students can find the full range of sessions herehttps://linktr.ee/TimAdelani, and they can follow those links to sign up to the workshops. Alternatively, students can book directly onto Eventbrite. https://www.eventbrite.com/cc/accesstouni-workshops-202223-1082169
Additionally, students can sign up to a free enhanced programme, which includes unlimited personal statement checks, and additional sessions on admissions tests. Spaces are limited, and we will be prioritising students receiving free school meals.
Any further questions about the AccessToUni workshops please contact: